Sunday 28 July 2024

July

 I had a week of annual leave spent at home.   It's been lovely to go to my allotment and get home grown salad leaves, onions, potatoes and beetroot for our dinners and to sit in the garden with a pile of library books.



On Mondays I go to a swimming lesson at my local pool, it's only £3.50 for members to get 45 minutes in a group of 8 with a tutor who helps you to improve your technique, learn new strokes or even learn to swim from scratch! they welcome all levels and we have got to know each other and really enjoy the session together.  Last week we had water baseball (the nets float on the water).



 
Home made scones! ... I'm getting plump.. not the only one, looks like Mollie has put a bit of weight on which we have been working on for ages!




I bought from the garden centre and planted celeriac today and a yellow courgette.  Most of my allotment is grown from seed but I can't resist something new if I can find a space.
This is a small plot, 60 feet square so I have had to cram a lot in.. I have sweetcorn  runner beans, yin yang beans, cauliflower, beetroot, sprouts   parsnips, spinach, red onions, spring onions, herbs, potatoes, lettuce, pumpkins and flowers!

My garden has been a bit neglected, the lawn has been covered in that pretty weed/herb  self heal, bees love it.  Now this is being superceded by white clover.

Lemon trees are growing fruit and flowers and sweet peas are filling a dull corner with colour and perfume.


How's your garden growing?




12 comments:

  1. You manage to cram lots into your space! Total failure with courgettes, but the tomatoes are looking good. I havent grown anything else this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have garden envy!
    Mine is doing ok considering everything else that has happened...the peas are growing, the beans are struggling. Beetroot coming along and Cavolo Nero Kale under its net curtain.. although I have only seen one cabbage white butterfly this year...tomato plants are tall and skinny but there are tomatoes on them. The birds stripped the currant bushes, but I got the gooseberries...and the alpine strawbs are doing great!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your garden & your allotment are all looking wonderful Betty- good on you - nothing beats freshly harvested food that we've grown. Molly cat is looking really well too. My garden has gone to bed for the winter although I can see daffodils coming into bloom so hopefully spring is not too far away. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your garden and allotment are looking very lush!
    Ours has been somewhat neglected this year. We have a shady woodland garden and our soil is full of large pebbles and so quite difficult to work with. It has a lot of trees and is pretty well established though, so it's just a maintenance job really.
    The major task we're wrestling with this year is tackling bamboo...the curse of 90s gardens!

    ReplyDelete
  5. All wonderful things! Great to read about your swimming lessons! Your garden looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those scones look delicious.
    www.rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. You and the allotment are a love affair.
    Good Luck with the swimming lessons! Swimming is important! I've never learnt to swim and I regret it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not sure what's lovelier, Mollie on her fancy rug or your glorious garden! I love the sound of your swimming lessons, I'd definitely sign up for those if our baths offered them.
    I can't believe you've put on weight, you looked amazing in your recent Malta photos. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm fascinated by your allotment and its products, Betty! What a great idea that was!! I live in an urban apartment , so I have to make do with potted plants.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Scones with jam and cream ... delicious.

    All the best Jan
    https://thelowcarbdiabetic.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy September dear Betty
    It was lovely to hear from you!
    Seems like you are enjoying your gardening at allotment a lot 😀
    It is always amazing to eat home grown vegetables.a healthier option for sure.
    Great you are taking swimming lessons.
    Happy reading my friend
    Best wishes

    ReplyDelete

July

 I had a week of annual leave spent at home.   It's been lovely to go to my allotment and get home grown salad leaves, onions, potatoes ...