Sunday 28 January 2024

Plot 60

 This is my second year at the allotment.  My first year was fun, lots of learning, we had more to eat than we needed and I had a wonderful time, we have also made some great friends with fellow plot holders and, as you will see in my short video, the volunteers made a beautiful shelter last year so our get togethers could be all year round!  We have a pizza oven, wood burning stove, sheltered seating area and a kitchenette/bbq area.  I have done a little video to show you how lovely it is.



I am going to do a monthly video on my blog so I can see how things progress throughout the year and look back next year to see if everything I did worked or could be done differently.



I bought a ton of manure last Autumn, delivered to the plot by lorry, it wasn't the best quality but I had enough to cover the area and I gave the rest to fellow plot holders.  I covered and left it over the Winter and it has rotted down really well.  I think the soil is now ok to be left alone until planting.  I don't dig unless it's virgin soil, so this year will be easier, I only need to rake it over.



I have bought my seed potatoes from the local allotment shop where they can get our seeds and plants in bulk at a discount, as it's non profit making and run by volunteers, prices are really low, all the seed potatoes, including my jersey royals, were £1.65 per kilo.  I am storing them in crates in the garage where it is cold and dark and not chitting them until late February and planting in March.  


At this site everyone shares and unwanted items are left to be taken.  My water butt is an old ad-blu drum and it has an old kitchen tap, my wooden manure store was made for me from palets and my two compost bins were given to me.  All my tools came from the recycle centre at £1 to £3 each apart from my fabulous hoe which my neighbour gave me!





12 comments:

  1. How wonderful Betty. Your allotment plots are bigger than I imagined in my mind. Such a good area. The inside area that has been built is just so wonderful & a great place to gather & share information. Is it locked up ? I am wondering about vandals or maybe people living on the streets? Or maybe there is none of that in your area?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is locked, we all.have a key. We take surplus produce to our local food bank. There are homeless people in this area, there is a large hostel for them in the nearby town.

      Delete
  2. It all looks highly organised, and very different from a couple of years ago. Great to have the meeting place where you can share , and enjoy BBQs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, very lucky its so well set up and willingly shared.

      Delete
  3. Your plot looks great! I look forward to your next blogs and see what you are growing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I miss the community of an allotment garden

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww, it's been a long time since I heard your lovely voice!
    What a fab video and a wonderful allotment. I love that there's a friendly community there. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you've done brilliantly.
    It all looks very organised.
    Keep-on enjoying, I think you will :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well done! Looks amazing. You can turn your hand to anything, Betty with great results. Just look at your success with Mollie. Your allotment is going to be such a book come retirement!xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. You'll gain good agricultural experience from this allotment. You've got it all here - products, physical work , socializing with people from other plots. Looks and sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The tricky part is getting the right mixture of manure.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you sooo much for sharing the video dear Betty it gives brief idea of allotment .It looks widespread and amazing. I can imagine how exciting it must be for you work over there 😍
    I liked the sitting area and cupboard with basic necessary things and bar Bq area wow smart move for good break time: )
    My did same for her little garden. She would gatther the manure bring home and cover and wait until it is rotten: )
    You mentioned how much you either miss your mom and with time you feel there is some of her left within you. I feel same and I feel how it makes me feel happy and strong

    ReplyDelete

Let There Be Light!

 The Aurora lights over Surrey, UK on Friday night, pictures taken by my son Tom.