Friday 26 January 2024

Out and About

 We had a really delicious curry at Lahore in Tooting a few weeks ago when meeting our oldest son who lives nearby.  Lahore is not fancy and you have to bring your own booze, but it's always packed out and the food is brilliant... we had a shared order for 3 of:

Butter paneer, chicken paneer, chicken masala, bombay potatoes, sag aloo, lentil dhal, rice, naan bread.


This week I had a steroid injection in my wrist for carpal tunnel pain.  The surgery a few years back hasn't really helped and eventually a bone may have to be removed due to the thumb/wrist pain.  However, hopefully in a few weeks the benefit of the jab will be felt!





Obviously I needed to reward myself for being so brave so the following day I skipped off on the train to Brighton for the day.  I took another look at the dress I mentioned on my previous post.  Thank you Vix for pointing out the pattern placement issue .  I went back and tried on 5 and found this one which has the black pattern much lower and  hangs so much better so it came home with me!  I have jeans on underneath and have realised that you could wear this without having to wait for Summer!

Brighton was grey and deserted, until I got to the seafront where it was University Graduation Day and all the young grads were posing for photos in their mortarboard hats and robes.  The parents all looked so happy and proud.  One girl, who I think is from Thailand, wore the most incredible traditional dress and headress and was happy to pose for me as well as her mum! isn't she beautiful?!



I have never been in All Saints before, there clothing is beautiful quality but I don't know much about how they source their products with regard to fair trade and the environment;  They told me their beautiful soft biker leather jackets are made in India, other items Turkey and Portugal.



I love the charity shops around The Lanes, isn't this the most upmarket faux fur hoody you ever saw!
With so few shoppers around I was able to get some nice pics of the shops and landmarks that are usually hidden by passing buses and crowds of people!

I took a pic of both piers, the burnt out West Pier is actually my favourite, because there's a really good sun bathing spot right in front of it and a tiny bit of sand when the tide is out.

The pump room in the arches used to provide water to the Grand Hotel (the sea water was considered a health therapy), the arches are now used as lock up shops  this one is for icecream and coffee!




On the seafront the arcade shops haven't opened up yet but the little fishing museum (free) was open and I popped in, it's tiny and only takes 2 minutes to walk round.  The seashell shop usually has its sign obscured when open and sells plastic windmills, buckets and spades and, of course, bags of seashells (from tropical shores, you would never find conches and sea urchin shells like theirs on Brighton beach!).



In The Lanes:


Yep, I noticed that beautiful maxi wool tartan skirt but it wasn't my size. 




I stopped for Weatherspoons sustenance, the Spoons pubs in Brighton are always crowded and there's no need for a lady alone to feel uncomfortable, newspapers are provided and I had a nice cosy table by the window for my pint of orange and lemonade.  




I finished the day with a good hour or so in Waterstones book shop - this branch is my favourite because, If I'm lucky, the third floor window seat is free and I can sit reading all the books.  I take a pic of all the books I like, then spend some time searching my library to borrow them, we can order online through the library app and collect from a chosen branch which the books are delivered to, some are free, a few titles might cost 75p to order in  - if they don't have one or can't get it for me, then I justify buying one. 



 I bought The Caliph's House and began reading on the train home, it's a true story about a family moving from London to Casablanca to a very large, old house, full of  eccentric staff that the owners have inherited as guardians of the property and there may also be some Jinn's too  (ghosts).




Today I managed to get my 30 lengths in at the swimming pool, then did my supermarket shop and nipped up to the allotment to drop off some ground coffee waste (hubby gets it from work and I use it to keep insects off my seedlings).  We now have a tarmac path up to our plots, lovely to drive on - no more potholes!  Also the ground is being cleared by the organisers for the bee hives to be installed in the Spring.


Well that's all my news this week, thanks for reading and please leave a 
bit of chit chat if you have time!


13 comments:

  1. The food at Lahore sounds good! Enjoy your new dress; it looks fabulous on you!
    Glad to hear good things about the allotment and about your swimming
    ability.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Duta, yes my pic wasnt the best, I was too busy eating to take lots of pics but Lahore is really special - it is crowded out with Indian and Pakistani familys every night and as our son only lives round the corner, he eats well there regularly. The only down side is you must wear flat shoes as the floor is very greasy!!

      Delete
  2. A great post Betty - I enjoy seeing all your jaunts & the different shops & things. I hope the steroid injection works for you - Mum used to have those in her knee from time to time. I think you can only have so many but they seemed to work a treat for her. Your new dress looks great! As does your new book. Enjoy the weekend Betty xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Julie. Yes 2 jabs per year in same joint, I am going for gold this year and having one in my hip too shortly! The book is really good, I can't put it down!

      Delete
  3. I love your little tours around Brighton, Betty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every time I go I think of the trips we did together Barbara :)

      Delete
  4. You look like a goddess in that kaftan, Betty! I'm so glad you persevered and found one with the correct pattern placement. I bet, like mine has, it'll be a travel staple and will get taken on lots of exotic adventures.
    Your trips to Brighton and your observations along the way are such fun. That graduate in her wonderful national costume, the gig posters and the faded signs are fab. Our Spoons stopped having the papers after the pandemic, they only have the Wetherspoons magazine. Mind you, we have so much fun people watching we're endlessly entertained.
    I'm loving the sound of that book, I shall add that to my wishlist.
    You've got me craving a curry now, I might suggest Jon makes one for tea.
    Well done on getting your lengths in and I hope the injection helps with the carpal tunnel. Jon's knee jab wasn't so successful this time so I've prescribed him a week in the sunshine, the hunt for a cheap flight starts soon! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Vix, never been called a Goddess before! thanks. I think the brown sox need to go though! Oh yes, half the fun of the holiday is in the planning - good luck finding your next getaway!

      Delete
  5. You look great in that dress! Good for you treating yourself! You're always telling me to do it and I have been this week of my rather large birthday! One more celebratory family lunch today then it's back to old clothes and porridge tomorrow! Was in an Indian supermarket in Edinburgh yesterday, after visiting the Andy Warhol Textile Exhibition which was fab, looking for kumquats(?) but no luck though did manage to find the most fabulous bunch of coriander for 99p!That book sounds so interesting. Happy Sunday to you.x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you will do a post on the Andy warhol exhibition. I am wondering what made you seek out kumquat!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really enjoyed this post. It's making me feel like a visit to Brighton is long overdue! I like the look of the burnt out pier and love a bit of faded seaside glamour.
    You look lovely in that Kaftan!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice trip to Brighton my friend: )
    Seafront has many fancy shops wow
    Never goog when dress you like is off size
    Wetherspoons is hospitable: )
    The dress you wore look stunning on You!
    How nice you had Indian food which resembles to ours too.
    Caliph house sounds interesting.
    Bravo for swimming lengths!
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete

Let There Be Light!

 The Aurora lights over Surrey, UK on Friday night, pictures taken by my son Tom.