Friday 15 March 2024

Travelling light


For short trips like our 4 night stay in Marrakech I use a black  Easyjet zip up under seat bag - it's super lightweight and meets size regulations for most airlines.  I really dislike those small cases on wheels, they are a trip hazard to other people and take up far too much room in overhead lockers.  My bag is soft so will squeeze into the bag guage at check-in even when crammed.  Hubby takes a similar size gym bag.

 For Marrakech I packed 1 maxi kaftan, 1 maxi wrap skirt, 1 long chino skirt, 3 long sleeve blouses, 1 midi skirt, 1 black t-shirt, 1 black/wool wrap, 1 pair flat leather sandals, 1 orange maxi cover up, 1 black swimsuit, 1 foldable hat, undies (2 changes/wash at night) and 2 leather belts one wide, one narrow. I flat leather sandals.

I wore denim leggings, long sleeve navy jersey shirt, wool wrap and trainers on the flights.  If I am short of space on the return after buying souvenirs, I can wear a things over this.


Toiletries: I keep small 100ml bottles and refill them  they are enough for 4 days, this size can go in hand luggage. I take shampoo and conditioner, Body Shop CBD oil for my face (mature skin, recently discontinued so stocked up when it got reduced to a fiver a bottle,)), toothbrush and paste  I don't use foundation makeup, i dislike it.  I  use eyebrow, eye and lip pencils, blush and lipstick.   Hubby carries the decanted Calypso once a day sun lotion and after sun, his shaver and toothbrush.


We take paper cups for our toothbrushes and keep them in the wardrobe away from crawlies.  We leave the barhroom light on at night as cockroaches prefer to come out in the dark. . 


Electricals:  We share a phone charger and email ahead to hotels to check which plug we need. Some have usb outlets.

Fact Finding:  we check the hotel website and Tripadvisor forum reviews for pictures so  we can get a feel of the layout of the hotel before we arrive. 


  Hubby makes a day by day itinerary of where we want to go and factors in free time for chilling out.  For us, this is as much a part of the holiday as actually going - we love finding our way round little streets and discovering places to see by reading Tripadvisor and travel blogger reviews.  We  download some Google map screen shots and train timetables to our mobiles so we don't waste time getting lost. 

(Pattern mixing  Bahia Palace, Marrakech)


(Pattern overload!! Water fountain, Marrakech)


Sorry about the photos coming out sideways, I hope you don't have a stiff neck!












24 comments:

  1. You do go to some fascinating places, Betty. And you have really got your packing down to a fine art!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Barbara, we are so lucky that both of us like the same places and want to do the same things :)

      Delete
  2. You always seem to really suit what you choose to wear Betty - I wish I had this knack. Yes I wondered about the sideways photos & thought perhaps it was just my computer (!!). Sounds like such a wonderful holiday - 4 days is just enough sometimes. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thankyou Julie, there's no knack - I spend ages watching the sales for some of my stuff, also EBay and try to buy things that will go with what I already have.

      Delete
  3. I'm so happy you've posted this blog, Betty! I love getting a glimpse of your fabulous travel wardrobe,hearing your packing light tips and seeing more of you in Morocco!.
    I've never travelled with EasyJet, they've only just started flying from Birmingham and seem quite pricey. I get really annoyed with how all the budget airlines have different rules for bag sizes. I bought a gorgeous holdall from the East sale a couple of years ago which is now too big for Ryanair's small bag policy. I've got two chazza shopped wheelie suitcases (I promise I don't trip anyone up with them!) one is perfect for Ryanair and the other for Jet2.
    I'm glad you're another wash and wear undie packer. I've been on holiday with friends who take a pair of knickers for every day - what a waste of space, that's an extra blouse!
    Like you, I've been using Calypso Once for years and decant into smaller bottles. Bodycare didn't have any in stock before we went away so I ended up buying Soltan Once from Boots once we'd got through security and I decanted what was left into the empty bottle I had left after I'd used up my eye make-up remover as it was a shame to leave the dregs behind!
    Great tip about the paper cups and the toothbrushes.
    I love searching for live webcams for where I'm going to and looking at what people are walking about in so I've got an idea of what the temperatures going to be like. xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Vix, yes now Wilko is off the high street I might have trouble getting Calypso, so will take note ref your Soltan. Those wheelie suitcases must make travelling light, it's just that I would be lethal with one as have no spacial awareness !

      Delete
  4. Just commented at Vix' that I'm really enjoying you and she's travelogues. You look so great in your holiday gear. Xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Anne, I wish I could take you with me! I'm enjoying Vix's posts too :) Betty

      Delete
  5. Thanks for the travel tips Betty. Very helpful!
    We tend to make very vague plans. I usually have a mental list of must-see places, which we try to stick to, but it's good to stumble across places too isn't it?
    Your travel wardrobe was lovely and the pattern mixing photos are excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope you were holding a stiff drink in the last photo!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, what a great trip you made! I enjoy your pictures of Marocco, so colourful and beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Why wash undies at night when you can just turn them inside out for the next day? ;) Good tip on leaving the light on to ward off the cockroaches! Now I will always sleep with a night light under my bed. Have a great time Betty. I look forward to your return post, which I hope will involve more pattern matching and images turned to the left, to counter-act ones to the right xXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still can't sort out these sideways photos Lulu! why wash undies at all - in my younger days you could get paper ones!

      Delete
  9. This incredibly useful sharing dear Betty šŸ˜
    I think everything you told here can be handy for many who want to travel . I loved idea of using flexible bag instead the suitcase. They ruin the fun part of travel sometimes.
    Your all dresses are pretty and elegant and perfect for trip to country where women cover most of themselves. You look fabulous in each.
    Thanks for all great tips again .
    Hugs and blessings

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice to travel light. I always take too much luggage!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have taken too much many times and been annoyed with myself!

      Delete
  11. Hello Betty :=)
    Your choice of clothing for your trip to Marraquexe is perfect, and your travel light bag is all you need. When hubby and I went to Morocco we were told to never explore on our own, but to go with a tour guide because it was safer. I'm glad you came back without incident, as we were told that some tourists disappeared when they ventured out on their own, especially women, but then you had your hubby with you so I dare say it was not a problem. I bought silver jewellery with semi precious stones and a couple of Kaftans, and scarves and a little leather pouch to hang around my neck to put my cigarette lighter. I don't smoke now, not for fifty years. What did you buy Betty, if anything?
    All the best
    Sonjia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only bought a fridge magnet, there wasn't anything I wanted and we were travelling light. I saw a lot of tourists buying the coloured plates.

      Delete
  12. Thanks , Betty, for the useful travel tips. Very true about cockroaches -
    darkness brings them out.
    You look great in the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  13. (My comment probably failed to get through).
    Thanks, Betty, for the useful light travel tips. You look great in the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  14. lots of love and best wishes dear Betty!

    ReplyDelete

April

Hi bloggers.  I haven't posted for a while as not been well with anxiety, but feeling more like me again now :)  Sorry I have been quiet...