Wednesday 24 May 2023

Istanbul.Day 2

Day 2 in Istanbul started and continued most of the day with rain, I found we had left our pac-a-macs behind!  We took time over breakfast then headed out, resigned to getting wet.  We took the Metro to Fatih and found the Sulaymaniye mosque - free entry.  I took a small bag with a pashmina to cover my head/arms and then on entering the mosque put my shoes in the bag so I didn't have to hunt amongst the many other pairs on the steps.  


The mosque, built in 1550 during the Ottoman period,  has beautiful ornately decorated ceilings and stained glass windows. We had been to see the Blue Mosque on a previous trip, this mosque was no less spectacular.





The mosque is located near the University so there are plenty of budget places to eat.  We chose a
snack menu for lunch of beans, salad, rice and lentil soup.


The cafe was started in 1950 and the menu has remained much the same.



There are lots of street vendors for quick snacks too, such as these Simit


The Grand bazaar is a short walk from the Mosque and  has many small narrow roads on the approach, a web of alleyways selling copper, basketry, souvenirs, turkish delight, baclawa and fruit and veg.


I bought my 'wicked eye' souvenirs in a wholesale shop outside the tourist bazaar, they were a third of the price being asked in tourist areas (£3).




We found a little cafe selling this delicious hot dessert in the market.  It's melted in tin dishes with sugary pistachio coating and is delicious.  I was peering through the window wondering what the cheese dishes on display on hot coals were and an elderly lady called me over - she said I don't know what this is but you must try it - it's delicious!  She was right - it's called Kunefe.


We also made numerous stops in cafe's for apple tea and of course admired the market and gold shops.



Day 3 next....











4 comments:

  1. Well I've been to Halkidiki this morning and now I'm in Istanbul and all from the comfort of my sofa!Thank goodness for t'internet!!Looking forward to further escapades!xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those ceilings are spectacular! And the food looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a shame about the rain but it looks like it didn't hinder your adventures!
    The mosque looks fantastic, Islamic art is so beautiful. The food looks amazingly tasty, too. Turkey's a great place for us veggies, isn't it?
    I'd can't resist those evil eyes, we've got one in Gilbert! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh stunning Mosque. What a fascinating looking place Betty xXx

    ReplyDelete

April

Hi bloggers.  I haven't posted for a while as not been well with anxiety, but feeling more like me again now :)  Sorry I have been quiet...