Wednesday 12 April 2023

Easter Weekend

Hi fellow blogging buddies - just so you know, I am having trouble leaving comments on some blogs, Blogger asks you to sign in then won't let you .. in particular Julie, Lulu and Dora (Peppy) and Rain, so apologies.  Clearing cache or enabling 3rd party cookies hasn't resolved.  

 I had the whole 4 days of Easter bank holiday off. 

I spent a leisurely hour painting this year's plan for my allotment.  There are two empty areas, I can't decide what to plant yet so will have to come back to it.  




 I had time for early morning cups of tea in the garden enjoying the Spring flowers in my window tubs.   Daffodil, hyacinth and grape hyacinth, so nice to have something to view from indoors too.. 



I did my Tripadvisor review of the last hotel we stayed at on our India trip - I was under pressure as we have kept in touch with some of the staff since 2019 and they were keen to see the review.

I dug the garden borders and laid some woodchip, mowed the lawn and thinned the lavender.  Hubby helped with the mowing and cooked a lovely chicken murgh masala  from this library book.    After being pretty much a lifetime vegetarian I do now occasionally eat a little chicken in a curry as am trying to increases my protien intake, although I don't like the texture.  I think I could replicate this with paneer and cashews though.



I caught up with Gardeners World on tv and was pleased that Adam Frost was planting his potatoes as I had just done mine up on t'allotment.



Saturday was sunny but cold and was spent indoors wading through a big ironing pile then potting cuttings of my tradescantia.  

The evenings was spent binge watching the excellent  Arctic Circle tv police series.   We then started watching Walter Presents Faking Hitler.

Sunday is always swimming day and having had my brown lowlights topped up last week, I was careful to bring my swimming c8ap and hair conditioner to protect it.   After my 30 lengths I had 10 mins in the sauna, shut my eyes and imagined I was back in India!     

I spent the afternoon painting my nails (NX Barbados) and had a snooze in a sun spot.  Oldest son came from his digs in London to stay and brought all his laundry (his machine's broken) and youngest son came back soon after (from his baggage handling shift at the airport, so tired and hungry) and hubby cooked the first bbq of the year!  There was strawberries and cream too.




On Easter Monday I made the men roast turkey dinner with sprouts, yorkshire pudding, roast potatoes and gravy.

The rest of the week has been a blur as I was working but my employers have approved a change from some of my late shifts for earlies from next week so going forward will have more time at the end of the day to enjoy the garden and allotment :)








13 comments:

  1. Your gardening is going well!
    I think everyone is having random problems with publishing comments... sometimes the Captcha system doesn't load...although you don't use it, if you both are on blogger..and quite often I have to hit Publish a second time before it works!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's driving me mad, I moved blogs from wood fairy as I thought it was my blog but it's the same problem and also uploading photos from my mobile, they turn into a little tiny box with letters and so pics have to be emailed to myself and uploaded from my laptop. I hope it resolves itself, I don't think Blogger is supported by Google any longer.

      Delete
  2. Gardening season, enjoy.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the busiest time of the year for us putting lots of veggies in our allotment and pruning back the trees in in the woods behind us that are hanging over our fence. I like seeing pictures of your landscape Dora, you live in a beautiful and very different part of the World to me.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a wonderful Easter Betty. Looks like definate signs of spring in your area. We are having lovely autumn days but it can be chilly night & morning. The leaves are falling here now. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Autumn seems so far away for us in the UK but is my favourite Season with all the colourful leaves falling, wood burners, chimineas, blankets and hot dinners :)

      Delete
  4. I love when you take us outside to enjoy the gardens. Or looking through the windows is fine too. I have my eyes on your border as I work to improve mine. Don’t you just love when the boys come home - no matter the reason! 😉 Mary @ Hilltop Post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love my garden, Mary, it's very small but compact. I try to attract bees so all the plants are recommended to attract them. I put a lot of manure on the borders in November and left it to work it's way down, we have heavy clay soil and this helps break it up.

      Delete
  5. I'm hoping you get this comment, Betty! I'm having terrible trouble trying to leave one!
    Loving the plans for your allotment and I've got cacti envy with those beauties on your windowsill.
    We loved Faking Hitler (and Arctic Circle), it really is the golden age of TV.
    Your nails look great with your tan. I'm looking forward to seeing your new hair and I think copper highlights would suit you beautifully! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Vix, I have trouble leaving comments too, sometimes Blogger won't let you sign in at all andother times it makes you 'Anon' starting to think might have to move to some other media platform! Those cacti seem to multiply by themselves, but they have never flowered - I live in hope.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on eating a piece of chicken! I have no problem of being vegetarian or even vegan, but I'm afraid. Animal protein is of the highest quality; I can't give it up completely.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your garden plan looks great Betty! I'll be planning the outdoor garden in a few weeks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. awe !!!!! your garden is breathtaking specially the window tub plants are blooming look really beautiful :)))
    i love looking out at the garden and plants and flowers ,they make me feel so close to Nature which is one of the most beautiful feelings :)
    loved your holiday art !
    what a nice harvest ,hope your next plantation in allotment is planned already .
    gorgeous nail color :)
    i love the feel that you are attracted to eastern culture little bit .
    how sweet of your hubby to cook for both boys who visited you :)it is always most beautiful to have them back !
    mine brought laundry as well on my request as he washes his clothes with hands or give to laundry shop when too tired so i thought it will be relief for him to bring home but wasn't much .
    best wishes for all you do in future
    hugs

    ReplyDelete

Let There Be Light!

 The Aurora lights over Surrey, UK on Friday night, pictures taken by my son Tom.